Pages

Follow Buttons

Follow Me

Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Mock 21.1k coming saturday and end of Soup n Salad Diet


The last few days were really good; I got through them keeping my sweet cravings at bay! Last Saturday was my 10K run which I got through successfully, with another 5k the next day. I was very happy to have fueled these runs on my soup and salad diet, without any aches, pains, weakness, in fact felt very healthy, fresh and active through all these day. I did have the occasional headache but with a fruit and lots of water I was able to control them.The soup n salad diet continued even on the Makar Sankranti day, which was a big achievement for me with my better half supporting me 100%.

Hey!! It was not always about food n diet and healthy recipes, I also brought some zing into my life with some vibrant colours!. Having a bit of free time on my hand and to keep my mind off food; largely off baking I thought of using all the unsalted butter lying in my fridge to good use.
I did a bit of practicing of butter icing on my vessels :) time well spent I say.. at least I learnt something new!
I do have one query though, I used to electric beater to whip the butter and icing sugar together to get a smooth icing. However I still could feel the sugar granules when I touched the icing. How do I get a completely smooth butter icing? Should I use powdered sugar instead if icing sugar?


Coming to the reason for ending my fast a few days early; I have my mock 21.1k run coming Saturday. As I said earlier I am very comfortable completing a run which is fueled on soups and salads, but I really really need some carbs.. I could have some potatoes but I want some rice and roti’s. So today, after lunch I go back to a moderate yet filling and healthy food!
I made a simple juice toady for my breakfast along with some milk + oats. 
It's the 3P’s Juice, I cup pineapple + 1 cup papaya + ½ cup pomegranates (a few for garnishing) + rock salt + chaat masala = a refreshing drink and very sweet without any sugar.


Last but not the least I want to thank each one of you for supporting me with your encouraging comments.
You all became my support system during my tough days, I would come back to the post often and read the comments several times to get me out of my dilemma of continuing with my diet. A Big Thank You to each one of you once again.

Another personal gain was the control that I have been able to achieve, I keep writing about sugar cravings, but that is just one part of my life. Its control on my irritation, control on my responses (I have the 'foot in the mouth' disease :P). These last few days have made me stronger, more tolerant and a more conscious eater.

The next step is to build on these learning, move out of the 'overweight' category, run my next 21.1 k in less than 2.30 minutes and 'look like a runner'

29 comments:

  1. Wow Gauri... Those little flowers look awesome! :) Great going on ur diet plan... glad you made it through, never mind these last few days :) U still did it! yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. flowers look gorgeous and great going dear....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those piped flowers looks damn cute, keep rocking Gauri..Loving your diet plan and kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! Keep rocking...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gauri you are great. The fact that you have stuck to your goal is really something that you should celebrate!! You have a great hubby dear! Kudos to him too.

    As for your icing flowers they look beautiful.I wish I can lick some cream off the vessel.:) Yucky no but then that was my first thought.

    As for the sugar have you tries sieving it? (I have never tries icing so I may be wrong).

    ReplyDelete
  6. keep rocking gal.. flowers are just awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't give up, continue your diet plan n wish u good luck :) Will try ti follow few tips from u...keep going!
    Btw those piped flowers so cute n attractive...loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute pipped flowers and the P's drink look great...Great going..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the color and lovely flowers.
    Do drop in sometime at
    http://aathidhyam.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on being strong and getting through this! You do "look like" a runner! Runners come in all different shapes and sizes! You don't have to be a stick to be a runner! You are doing great! And yes, I would use powedered sugar for the icing, it'll be much smoother. Either way the cake looks yummy! I just read a book you might like...Eat and Run by Scott Jurek the amazing Ultra Runner who does it all on a vegan diet. I'm not a vegitarian, let a lone a vegan but his stories are inspiring and he gives some yummy looking recipes and talks about how he fuels for his runs without animal protein. Keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney, the reason I insist on 'looking like a Runner' is cause when I completed my first half marathon, someone who does not even walk 5kms actually asked me if walked it!!! I was so annoyed with that comment, I mean just because I dont fit into a small size does not mean I cannot run. So I am obsessed with looking like a runner!
      I will look up this book, I love my meat but would not mind getting some more veggies in my diet as well!

      Delete
  11. Hi Gauri;
    First of all I do fit into the small category, but do I run??? HA HA..if running behind kids counts then yeah I am a runner. My energy and stamina would not even last me 100 mtrs, so size does not make any difference, dogs they say bark everywhere. About your sugar query, We get Confectioner sugar here, that has some amount of cornstarch added to the sugar, it is super super fine, Back home I used pithi sakhar or sugar powdered at home in coffee grinder, which is again super fine. You can try these options. And Congratulations on your achievements.
    Love Ash.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Healthy and wonderful drink! All the best to you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you sure are a runner :) And loved that drink dear...about the icing query, am sure you must not use powdered sugar, using icing sugar is the best, your icing sugar may have had some lumps in it, so always sift well before using, may be this will help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Divya, I had sifted it.. I think ll sue home made powdered sugar for best results!

      Delete
  14. Those flowers are so cute....a healthy drink with lovely colour.

    today's recipe:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/01/aar-macher-kutti-bhaja-spicy-fried-ayer.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for visiting us Gauri ! And please continue what you love to do. I myself was an athlete in my college days and nowadays I too try to keep myself fit and slim through running, walking and trekking. And yes sure you looks like a runner ! dont let the negative vibes seeped into u.
    You are doing really great and an inspiration to many.
    Btw those flowers are damned cute, very very pretty.
    All the best ! keep running !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you too for dropping by and for the encouraging words :)

      Delete
  16. Awesome job onthe 10 k with soup and salad diet !! The butter icing is awesome, you have a steady hand ... Lover the colors too. Al the best for your big run.

    For the butter cream, super fine sugar powder shld work well . I make my own

    About your query on my boards as props - yes I painted them myself ! If you need help just email me at turmeric53@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think ll stick to home made super fine sugar, I used Icing sugar and had sieved it before using it.. but the results were not great.

      Delete
  17. Wowww such a yummyy healthy juice.Hope u had done ur best at 21.1K

    ReplyDelete
  18. yummmmmy and very tempting..nice cliks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you - Latha, Jay, Treat n Trick, Kala, Maha for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete