Pages

Follow Buttons

Follow Me

Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Beetroot Raita - Step by Step Recipe




I love this raita for many reasons - I love the colour; bright and inviting.
It’s naturally sweet so helps to curb those craving
You can have it with roti or rice, imagine having pink curd rice – how cool is that!

Ingredients
Quantity
Boiled beetroot grated
2 medium (approx 1 cup – cup measure 200 ml)
Curd (dahi)
6 tbsp
Roasted cumin powder (jeera powder)
1 tsp
Mustard seeds
½ tsp
Salt
As per taste
Dried red chillies
2 nos
Oil
2 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing)
A pinch

Serves 3-4
Preparation time – 10 + 20 minutes to pressure cook beetroot
No cooking time
Here's  the recipe

Method:
  • Wash the beetroots, pressure cook for two whistles on medium, peel and grate it.
  • Add six tablespoons of curd and mix well, add salt as per taste.

  • Add roasted cumin powder.


For the Tadka:
  • Take a heavy bottom pan or an iron ladle (see picture) add 2 tsp of oil.
  • Once the oil is hot add a pinch of asafoetida, mustard seeds; let them splutter.

  • Add the red chilies, wait for a few seconds till the chilies are cooked and pour over the raita.
  • Garnish with fresh coriander.
  • You can also add curry leaves in the tadka to give it more flavour!



22 comments:

  1. aaha - u have used a mortar n pestle to grind the cumin- that must have imparted an earthy flavour; thumbs up to this raita runner gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mortar and pestle beats the mixer hands down!!
      I use for all small pounding, for the large quantities I do need the mixer!

      Delete
  2. Gauri

    I absolutely love this raita. What lovely colors. Have to make it now after seeing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color.. Nice raitha I never did it before
    great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beetroot raita looks so delicious and colorful. Wonderful preparation. Thanks for posting this recipe.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...colorful n healthy raitha...sounds very delicious...will try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a favourite...I never have the patience to grate the beets, I just chop it up...My son loves this pink raita !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific eye catchy colour,simply love this raita.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey nice & colorful raita! following you.

    visit me at - http://www.relishdelish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey thanks for the visit and for the lovely comment....wow! this is one healthy and colourful raita..

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom makes this raita, yours looks rich & creamy, great color

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Raita looks delicious!!First time here & following you....hope to see you in my space-food corner

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my god, look at the color! looks awesome. i would make this just for the color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks awesome. This is what I love and the rest hate. I add finely chopped onions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love anything beetroot. The color, the flavor the mix is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi...the colour is just perfect..
    love the raita:))

    ReplyDelete