Pages

Follow Buttons

Follow Me

Monday, 2 July 2012

Egg white omelette with spinach and burnt garlic



It’s a chilly morning, I don’t want to get out of bed but have to… why you ask? Well after years of getting up at 5 am and going for a workout I can no longer laze around in the bed even if I want to!
It’s my rest day today which means no workout, I get to sip my tea and read the newspaper -  a luxury that I have come to love and appreciate.

With a lot of time ahead of me I want to treat my self to a healthy, scrumptious and filling breakfast! Eggs are my favourite to ‘get cracking’ in the morning so thought of making an egg white omelette.
Rather than going for a regular plain omelette I decide to add some burnt garlic (a tip my friend V gave me) and some spinach which I had in plenty in the fridge. To this I added some dried oregano, paprika, and salt!

Now don’t get worked up with ‘burnt’ I am not going to ruin your breakfast – burnt garlic means sautéing the garlic on a high flame till it turns golden brown and just slightly burnt. This garlicky aroma wafting in the kitchen is making me hungrier!

Here's how to make it

Ingredients
Quantity
Egg whites
2 egg whites
Olive oil or regular refined oil
1 tsp
Spinach leaves
4-5 finely chopped
Garlic chopped
4 medium pods
Dried oregano
½ tsp
Paprika
½ tsp
Salt
As per taste

Serves – 1
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 5-7 minutes

Method:
  • Separate the egg yolk from egg white; beat the whites and set aside.
  • Take a non stick pan add oil, once the oil is heated add the chopped garlic.
  • To get BURNT GARLIC – sauté the garlic on high flame till it turns golden brown and looks slightly burnt. Once you get a strong aroma of the garlic, reduce to heat to ‘low’ immediately and add the chopped spinach leaves.
Burnt garlic and spinach
  • Sauté the spinach till it’s soft and tender, add the beaten egg whites, oregano, paprika, salt and let the omelette cook in the pan.
  • Flip it over and cook well
  • Serve hot with some toast!

Tips:
  • If you don’t like the flavour of garlic, you can add mushrooms, baby corn, onions or any other veggie of your choice.
  • If you’re not watching your weight make it’s a rich omelette with some grated parmesan, processed cheese (Amul or Britannia works great), cheese spread with some freshly ground pepper. The first bite is sure to melt in your mouth!




25 comments:

  1. Just posted a quiche recipe with spinach here I have an other one spinach!, looks very yummy.., I don't eat eggs only in cakes!, but my family would like this....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayasri - Looks like we 'almost' think alike :))

      Delete
  2. That's a nice pic, Gauri and nice idea of using spinach. I usually land up using mushrooms...I admire the fact that you wake up that early for workouts. I have to wake up to send my son to school, but when its a holiday, I can just sleep away...And thank you for always being the first one to comment on my posts :) I land up waiting for your comments now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice feedback Arch .. now I am under the pressure to perform lol.. I am, so far addicted to blogging, its also a nice way to know people even if its virtual. I miss my gang of girls in Pune so this is just another way to connect with so many like me out there! Besides am totally 'lukkha' housewife who sends her husband off to work and has the whole day free :P

      Delete
  3. Nice platter,with eggs n spinach..Goes well for breakfast..Thanks for dropping by my blog dear.. will catch with u from now on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Shanavi.. will catch up with u as well! Cheers

      Delete
  4. Hey! 1st time here... I'm in love with your photographs! They're so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy and flavorful omelette...

    ReplyDelete
  6. fat less version,sounds great Gauri..yummy breakfast!!
    I couldn't see u in my follower list,hope u'll follom my space publicly:-)

    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    EP Series-Fenugreek Leaves OR Green Chillies

    ReplyDelete
  7. super duper yummy.. Gauri I must say ur food snaps are too good.. they make me crave..

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi frst time to ur blog..lov ur shot n recipes...glad to follow u,

    visit me,
    http://www.subhieskitchen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gauri, very tempting & healthy at the same time. Nice one
    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whole eggs for me please :-)
    Love burnt garlic and spinach with it. With real butter I would love this omelet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow very delicious omelet. Perfect filling breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the taste of burnt garlic, esp with spinach. This would be winner omelette for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Garlic flavor egg white omlette looks yummy..Beautiful click.

    Cuisine Delights
    My Monthly Event - Spotlight:Curries/Gravies".

    ReplyDelete
  14. omelette Looks Tempting...first time here..love to follow..

    ReplyDelete